Friday 25 May 2012

Sew Inspiring #6

Just a couple of sew inspiring finds this week, I have been avoiding my computer as much as possible due to enjoying this glorious sunshine, and I have to say that I haven't picked up a needle and thread for the best part of 3 days sacrilege but I have got a few new designs sketched out for future bags so its been a fairly productive week of sorts.
Also, my sea-scape bag has been in full use, so even when I am stuck in the office, I can dream of being by the sea.

The first thing I have to show you is this lovely lovely book

A Handbook of lettering for stitchers by Elsie Svennas published in 1973, the cover photo is beautiful!
The inside cover says this:
"The Author has set out in this book with three distinct aims. Firstly to write a concise history of Lettering, tracing the development from the simplest markings to the elaborate and decorative monogram. Secondly, to give an an illustrated dictionary of all stitches that are suitable for carrying out any lettering. Finally to display in an illustrated section the great variety of lettering designs suitable for various stitches using every letter of the alphabet as examples."

You can download the PDF of the whole book from here, just scroll down a bit.  The explanations seem simple to understand, and there are so many different fonts to use. I can't wait to try out embroidering some letters! 

I also came cross this lovely embroidered blouse. Rebekka Seale who blogs at Dear Friend posted a step-by-step diy vintage inspired silk ribbon embroidery tutorial at Little Chief Honeybee.
Picture taken from Dear Friend

Doesn't it look so delicate and sweet? I may have to give this a go myself.

I am hoping to have stitched up some new designs over the next few days but after seeing the weather forecast I can't promise anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment